Saturday, January 16, 2010

Welcome Little Ben!

Yesterday at 10:20 am, Benjamin Thomas joined the Watson family. He weighed in at 8 lb 3.5 oz and was 20.5 inches long. He is a perfect little baby in every way and we are so happy to have him as a part of the family! This is the first "picture taking opportunity" I got of him. (Not sure why it is sideways). When I got to the hospital, he was in the nursery and while it is fine to watch through the windows, it is hard to get a good picture through the glass. I watched them bathe him and dress him for the first time and was amazed at what a perfect baby God had made and given to Tom and Jo. Then they wheeled him out to take to his mommy and I got my first good look at him. He is a beautiful baby. He reminds me very much of his big sister, only chubbier and more manly:-)

As he was with his mom nursing for the first time, my parents, Jo's parents and I sat outside of the nursery on the ledge and I thought about him. What will he be like, this new little life? Will he be tall like his parents when he grows up? Will he be a little spitfire like his sister, or calm and steady like his daddy? What will his eyes look like? What will he be when he grows up? I don't know the answer to any of those questions, but what I do know is that he is blessed to be in the family he is in. Tom and Jo are excellent parents. You can see the love they have for their children on their faces. I love watching Tom with his baby. He is so protective of him and in awe of him. Yes, this one has a good home to grow up in! And most important of all, he will be taught about the One who knew the number of his days before they ever started and knit him together in his mother's womb. Without God, Ben would not be here. I have come to realize just how much of a miracle life is over the past years. Ben will grow up knowing that, and I pray that someday, he will come to realize that Jesus did not only die to save the world, He died to save Ben. Here he is cradled in his daddy's loving arms.
And Ben is not the first little Watson to come into this world. He is preceded by a big sister who will learn to watch over him and teach him all the things she knows in the coming weeks. But for now I think she would rather play with the baby doll she got from her parents.

She did hold her real baby brother though. She was not too sure about it, but she did point out his little nose and very gently touch his face.
Tyler is very excited about gaining a new cousin down the street as well. He is a seasoned baby holder and he was very happy to get to hold this little one! I know that Katie would disagree, but he is excited to have another boy in the family!

And here are the parents with their new addition. Jo, you look amazing! You are a beautiful woman inside and out and I am blessed to be your sister. Tom, you did well!
And the proud Grammy with her newest grandchild and his sister. None of us would be the people we are today without her love and guidance throughout the years. She is just as good of a Grammy (or Mookey) as she is a mother. I love you Mom!

3 comments:

Kara said...

Aww... welcome, Ben!

The Bryans said...

What a perfect post. Love it!

Hughes' said...

Thanks for this post Debbie! I was so excited to hear news of this little one and the pictures are great! I know I am of course more emotional about this being in the time I am in- but what a special post. Thank you!! Miss you guys!