So much has happened in our lives since my last post and I have been horrible about putting up all the pictures. I will try to do better! The first thing I wanted to post about is the birth of this adorable little calf. Sean left for Germany on May 28
th and we left for my parents the next morning. We branded that day and on Sunday we got a call from my grandpa letting us know that a new baby was on the way. This mama was much too young to have a baby being not older than 15 months old, but unfortunately she was having one anyway! So we headed up there to check out the situation. You must understand how excited I was about this! I love pregnancy and delivery as I know I have mentioned before. And my love of this started with the birth of calves. I have wanted to be a part of every delivery possible since I can remember. And I have not witnessed a calf birth for a very long time. Also, I have wanted Tyler to be able to watch a birth and he never had. So, my excitement level was very high as we walked up to the barn.
When we assessed the situation, we decided that there was no way this calf was going to be born with just us to assist the poor cow. She was much too small and the calf was much too big, so we loaded her up in the trailer and headed to the vet's office. When the vet looked the cow over, he came to the same conclusion we had, that baby was not going to come out the natural way and be alive to tell about it. So he preformed a c-section. Tyler was a little
apprehensive at first and asked if there was going to be a lot of blood. I told him there was and it seemed that since he knew to expect it, he was OK with it. From that point on, he was fascinated! He watched like a hawk and asked a ton of really good questions about the different layers of skin, fat and muscle and why the vet cut it the way he did. When he got to the uterus, he asked if that is the same place where our baby lives. Then the vet opened the uterus and pulled out the calf. Tyler and I rubbed him down immediately and I think Tyler enjoyed that part the most! Since it was his first birth I told Tyler he could name the baby. He thought about it long and hard and then announced his name would be
Luker. Here is the little surgeon and his first calf!

Weston slept through the whole thing but when he did make it up to see the baby, he was quite impressed.
Luker and his mama with her incision showing.

What a cool experience for a little boy! I think it was especially cool for Tyler
because now he understands a little more what his daddy does for a living. Always before surgery was just a thing to him that he did not understand, but now he knows what it is. When Sean talks about sewing incisions up, Tyler knows what that looks like. And he got to experience the miracle of life. It was a good day in my book!
2 comments:
How fun that Tyler got to experience that! Brave little boy! Next step watching little brother #2 being born? ;)
And yes, that calf looks way big next to his momma!
How fun and exiting and what a wonderful experience. The calf does look very big!!
Post a Comment