I totally expected to go at least full term if not over, but on Aug 30th, I got the flu bug. I was pretty sick Monday night and Tuesday and I got fairly dehydrated. I am not sure if this had anything to do with labor starting, but I am guessing that it did. On Weds I felt much better and cleaned my house to try to get all the "bad bugs" out. Tyler also got sick but Weston and Sean never did. On Weds night, I just didn't feel quite right but I thought it was probably just a left over bug although I have to admit I was thinking I might be having the baby soon. We went to prayer meeting that night as normal and then came home and went to bed by about 10:30pm. I woke up at 1:27 am (funny how you remember the exact time in situations like this!) and I was having contractions that were pretty hard. I had been having a lot of contractions, but these felt different and I couldn't sleep through them. They were about 10 min or so apart. I tried to sleep but then I decided that I was in labor so I got up and got our guest room ready for delivery. I figured if it wasn't real, it would be real sometime soon and it wouldn't hurt to have the room ready. I put a mattress protector and old sheet on the bed and got out the chux, blue towels, blankets and warmer, clothes and diapers, and all the other supplies I needed. It was a little strange setting everything out instead of packing everything up to go to the hospital, but it was also very relaxing knowing that I was going to be in my own house to welcome this baby into the world. When it was all set up, I went to the couch and tried to sleep, but they were about every 5-7 min now and pretty hard.
Sean's alarm went off at 5 am so I went in and told him that I thought I was in labor. He wanted to know if I was sure because he had to make calls to set things up at work. I was not completely sure at this point but I told him to go ahead and make the calls. By 6 am I called Penelope and she said she would be here by 7. So I took a walk. It was a very chilly morning! I talked to Angie the whole time and she timed me at about every 3 min or so. They were getting pretty hard by this time and since I had Weston so quickly, I was thinking it would not be too much longer. Ha!! I was so wrong!
Sean started an IV at 7:05 am (I was group B strep positive) and he ran in penicillin. Penelope arrived at 7:15 am and she got all her stuff ready while I was still sitting in the chair getting PCN. At this point, my contractions stretched out to about every 15 min and I was getting scared that this was all for nothing. When my IV was out, Penelope checked me and I was only at about 3 1/2 cm. I started out at 3 cm. So then I really wondered and I was also a little depressed because the contractions were so hard already. Penelope left and Sean took Tyler to preschool. When he came home, we walked Weston down to Aunt Jo's house. Let me tell you how nice it is to live so close to your brother and sister-in-law! When they were all safely delivered to their destinations, Sean and I went for a long walk. I am not sure how far we walked, but it was so nice to be outside walking together. We got to talk a lot and I was having contractions at least every 3 min. Again they were hard and I was really hoping they were doing something! When we came back, I sat down again and they again stretched out. When Penelope came back around noon, I was only about 4 cm. This was extremely depressing for me! So we walked some more. We went to visit Tyler who by this time was home at Aunt Jo's from preschool. My parents were also over there helping. Tyler was very concerned so we didn't stay for long because I couldn't keep the pain from my face when I was having contractions. They were really painful for not doing much! Eventually we made it home and I sat in my rocking chair. Penelope came back and she and Sean watched a movie together. How cool is that!? We all just got comfortable (well I was far from comfortable, but they looked pretty comfy!). I sat in the chair with my eyes closed concentrating through each contraction. They thought I was sleeping but believe me I was far from sleeping!
The movie ended around 4:30 pm. I was getting really tired and a little discouraged. I went to the bathroom and was able to feel my bulging bag of water. Penelope had gone out for a walk, so I decided that if I broke my water this would end much faster and I didn't think I could take it much longer! So I broke my water and let me tell you, that is not an easy thing to do! I don't know how they ever break on their own! Anyway, that instantly made my contractions even worse which at that point I really hadn't thought was possible! I headed to the room and laid down. Penelope came back and I was 7 cm. I don't remember much from that point until I felt the urge to push. I do know that my mom came and stood in the corner and that Penelope, Sean, and her assistant, Linda were in and out of the room. Thankfully, it didn't take very long before the irresistible urge to push started coming with each contraction and I sent my mom out to bring everyone in. With Weston, I pushed too hard and tore when he came out on the first push, so Penelope encouraged me to take it slow. I think I pushed maybe 4 times before his head came out. My other two just pretty much slid out once their heads came out, but Asher's cord was wrapped all around his body and over his shoulder, so he kinda got stuck. I pushed one more time and he was out! It was 5:38 pm when he was finally born. What a wonderful feeling!! Sean handed him to me and he took his first breath. I can't describe to you the relief I felt! He was pretty purple, but absolutely perfect!
And he loves his newest son!
9 comments:
COngratulations! He looks beautiful. I'm glad that the birth was such a positive experience, and a great story to be able to tell Asher when he is older.
YOU ARE AMAZING!!! I think that your story is so great. Congrats on your 3rd healthy little boy. He is adorable!
Thank you for the birth story! I am glad it went as relaxing as it was--HB is not for me, I don't think but it sounds like it's just your cup of tea :) Glad that everything is doing well now!
Glad it went so well, except long! I love the brand new pictures, can't wait to meet him!
Angie
What an amazing story. I was so excited to see your post. Asher is perfect and I just lOVE that name!! Congrats to all of you! Can't wait to see this little guy grow up- even if it does have to be through blog world! :(
Love your story, thanks for sharing!! So happy everything turned out how you wanted...sounds very relaxing. So happy for you!! Congrats! Asher is beautiful!
Thanks for posting! I guess I already new the story, but still fun to read again :) I love the new pictures though! Nothing beats that brand-brand new baby picture right as they put him on your belly :)
Here's to more home births!
Great story, thanks for posting! I love your 3 boys pics, they make me happy. :)
I had 2 babies at home, and that is definitely the way to go!! So much more relaxing. I also had one in the hospital, and one in a midwive's clinic. Neither one could hold a candle to a home birth! :) I didn't know you could break your own water... seems like the way to go! :) I may have to try that 'next' time! lol!
Post a Comment