Thursday, November 13, 2008

Why I went to California

I went to California to learn to perform limited obstetrical ultrasounds for a pregnancy help center. These centers exist all over the United States and their purpose is to give pregnant women the information they need to make a decision about their pregnancy. Did you know that there are 1.5 million abortions done every year in the US? That number is astounding to me. However, if a woman sees her unborn baby on ultrasound, anywhere between 85-95% will choose not to abort. That is also a huge number! And that is why I want to be involved. I want see those women make a better choice for them and the child that God placed in their womb.

So what exactly is a limited obstetrical ultrasound? Since we will be a medical clinic, we have to answer a medical question. By performing an ultrasound we definitively answer the question, "Am I pregnant, and if I am, is the pregnancy viable (living)?" Often when a woman goes to an abortion clinic, they will perform an abortion after a positive urine test without ever doing an ultrasound to see if she is in fact pregnant or if the baby is even alive. Up to 33% of all pregnancies end in a natural miscarriage and if the pregnancy is not viable, what is the point of an invasive procedure like an abortion? So my purpose will be to answer these questions for a woman.

First, we will do the urine test and if it is positive, we will do an ultrasound as long as the woman's dates show that she should be at least 6 weeks along. By 6 weeks, a beating heart should be visualized which would confirm a viable pregnancy. I will be able to open up a window to her womb and show her what is really there. It is not just a collection of cells, rather it is a living thing with a beating heart. By 12 weeks, the baby will be moving and arms and legs can be clearly seen on ultrasound. By 16 weeks facial features will be visible and often the sex of the baby can be determined (though probably not by me:-)

That is why I went to California. I want to give these confused and hurting women real information about what is happening inside of them. Also, I want to share with them the love of Jesus, for that is what will really make a difference in their lives. As we were practicing our skills last Saturday, a young woman and her boyfriend showed up to see their baby. She was about 16 weeks along and it was confirmed that their baby was a boy. When the teacher told her this, her boyfriend started to cry. We asked him what was wrong and he said that his little brother had just been stabbed the past weekend and they were hoping for a boy so they could name him after his brother. It was a solemn moment for everyone, but then we asked if we could pray for them. We were all able to pray for this family and their baby, and I hope they could feel the love of Jesus through our prayers. I hope that I will have many more stories like this to share with you as I begin this ministry.

Just another note, I went to the doctor today and all is well with me and baby Shaco (for those of you who don't know, this is what Tyler calls our baby. Don't ask me why!) I am measuring fine but this little one is still breech, so I would definitely still appreciate prayers that he would turn on his own. The other options are not very appealing to me!

3 comments:

The Bryans said...

That is so exciting you get this opportunity at your new job - what a blessing you got to do this training as well! Btw - got any 'practise pictures' of your own little one to post?
Congrats on the good appointment! Always fun. :)

Travis & Alisa said...

I am excited for you and the opportunity you have before you!! I definately know how you feel about your options when your baby is breech! I chose the version and it was successful right away! Not near as bad as I thought it would be! I will keep you and your little one in my prayers!

oncearunner said...

oh my gosh i just came and read and saw that you only have a little over 6 weeks left! time flies!

kt